[Sca-cooks] Sources for Arabic cooking

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 6 09:47:12 PDT 2001

Michael Gunter wrote:

> I was in a discussion the other week with a
> couple who knows a lady that specializes in
> arabic cooking. This lady says that there is
> only one source of period arabic cooking and
> that is why her recipes are so limited. I
> countered with "Poppycock!". There are dozens
> of period sources for arabic food. But my
> problem is that I don't have a ready list
> of source material.
>
> Could someone who has more interest in this
> area please provide me with a list of readily
> accessible period arabic cooking sources?
>
> I have one wonderful book, "Medieval Arabic
> Cookery" but that's the only thing I have in
> my collection dedicated to Arabic cooking. I'm
> sure there's someone who can help me out with
> this.

Cariadoc has two in his printed collection (or at least he used to); one
is al Baghdadi, entitled in a translated edition "A Baghdad Cookery
Book", from a periodical called "Islamic Culture", and the other is
"Kitab al-Tibakhah", translated by Charles Perry for Petits Propos
Culinaires #21. Both of these should be available through interlibrary
loan, if not directly from Cariadoc himself.

Then, there's always the Manuscrito Anonimo, available, again in
translation by Charles Perry, online at:

http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_contents.htm

Hope this helps dispel the rumor that one of the most literate cultures
in history would have left us only one of their cookbooks...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com