[Sca-cooks] Sources for Arabic cooking

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 6 16:32:55 PDT 2001

Sandragood at aol.com wrote:

> > one
> > is al Baghdadi, entitled in a translated edition "A Baghdad Cookery
> > Book", from a periodical called "Islamic Culture", and the other is
> > "Kitab al-Tibakhah", translated by Charles Perry for Petits Propos
> > Culinaires #21. Both of these should be available through interlibrary
> > loan, if not directly from Cariadoc himself.
> >

> Not to take away from Cariadoc because he has done extensive work in this
> area, but both of these are chapters in the new book Medieval Arab Cookery.
> So Gunthar would already have both of those.
>
> A Baghdad Cookery Book starts on page 19.
> Kitah al-Tibakha: A Fifteenth-Century Cookbook starts on page 467.

Okay, I had no idea. Are these complete texts, or just highlights? It
also should be noted that these are a very few of the sources that are
available, and that by publishing them together as one edition doesn't
mean there is only one source. I mentioned these as being no further
away than my bookshelf, while true enthusiasts in this field will no
doubt be aware of plenty of additional material.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com