[Sca-cooks] OOP--Pickles and Potatoes

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Aug 7 05:32:30 PDT 2001

But "kosher" dill pickles also refer to what you put in them. My Ball Blue
Book sayeth to add a garlic clove, a piece of red pepper, and, IIRC, a bay
leaf to regular dill pickles, which only have the head of dill. I also
tend to add some of the spices from the pickling liquid, but that's not
usually entirely on purpose.

Yes, usually kosher means the way it's prepared, but in the pickle world,
it's what it's made with. Which is usually ok WRT kashrut anyway, but
that's another debate.

Margaret FitzWilliam, planning on pickling mushrooms and beans tonight