[Sca-cooks] Morning Food

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 7 13:05:10 PDT 2001

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 7-Aug-101 Re: [Sca-cooks]
Morning Food by jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
> Um. I've seen the translation of 'small birds' for 'small brydes' in
> Maggie Black's medieval cooking, but since she also perpetrated 'clove
> gilofre' as 'gilded cloves' I'm wondering if 'small brydes' couldn't also
> be small breads?

I doubt it -- Bryd is standard old/middle English for bird. Some examples:

Chaucer, Manciple's tale:
Taak any bryd, and put it in a cage,
And do al thyn entente and thy corage....
Yet hath this brid, by twenty thousand foold,
Levere in a forest...

Chaucer, the Squires tale:
Ne saugh I nevere er now no byrd ne beest