[Sca-cooks] Re: modem foo

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Aug 8 11:30:09 PDT 2001

Siegfried Heydrich wrote:

>     Anyone who got caught by the Code Red worm deserves to be fired,
> flogged, and sent to work at MacDonalds. That worm was written as a heads up
> to the industry. The fix was well known well in advance of the trigger date,
> and only a hydrocephalic chimp was able NOT to implement it beforehand.

I wondered about that myself- how could it do so much damamge with the
brass band preseeding it?

>     If your ISP was a victim of Code Red, go find another with competent
> techs before they allow something REALLY lethal  through . . .

I understand (and this is from someone who is a Sys Admin for Intel, not
from the ISP) that it slows down the whole internet, whether your ISP is
infected or not. And a large part of the problem is panic and stupid
people trying to fix it themselves.

'Lainie
not a computer person but I have one for a pet...