[Sca-cooks] Re: modem foo, OT

Chip jallen at multipro.com
Fri Aug 10 11:43:16 PDT 2001

> 'Lainie wrote:
> I understand (and this is from someone who is a Sys Admin for Intel,
> not from the ISP) that it slows down the whole internet, whether
> your ISP is infected or not.

Correct.  *switching hats* -- Code Red floods local subnets with ARP
requests.  In English, that means that if you have a cable modem,
you're networked with other customers.  Your modem sees everybody
else's broadcast traffic.  An ARP request is when something screams
out "Mommy!" and asks for Address Resolution.  AFAIK, ARP requests
don't get routed so only those local to you get/see that traffic.
Trouble is, there's always a moron on your subnet.  That moron is
almost certainly infected despite all the warning.  So you're getting
slowed down by bombardment before you even get past your provider and
out to the Internet.

Code Red, being a nasty and annoying thing, is basically sending out
thousands, nay, millions of little packets each screaming "Mommy!" and
making the flow of data very syrupy indeed, like a nice dulce de leche
or sekanjabin (ObFood content).

Ruadh wrote:
> Additional note: Code Red targets NT & Win-2000 servers [mostly] and
> they are what your ISP use to drive *your* msg across the net. Yes,
> there are 'other' machine then them, YMMV.  Ru

Not this ISP.  Other machines, indeed.  We run Unix-based systems and
have not been infected.  We have been _affected_ though, just by the
general net-wide slowdown.

For more info on Code Red, its variants & sequels, and other exciting
scourges of the Internet:  www.sarc.com

I'll leave both my .sigs on this time.  :)

Chip Allen
Systems Administrator
The MultiPro Network
Iyad ibn Bisharo / Thráinn Tjúguskegg