Mostly OT Re: Mariners and Brats (was Re: [Sca-cooks] regional potluck)

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com
Tue Aug 14 19:34:11 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/14/01 10:10:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> To paraphrase Robert B. Parker ["Who???"], those people so improperly
>  raised as to have no interest at all in sports are more to be pitied
>  than censured, as it is their parents' and guardians' fault, not theirs.

It may be me but my experiences have been the complete antipode of R. B.
Parker's quote. My mother is an avid football and baseball fan and my father,
before he died, was a pro-wrestling fan. Growing up, I played football,
baseball, and soccer with the YMCA. I chose on my own freewill to turn off
the television and enlighten myself in research and academics. I guess i'm
the special case. I do like going to The Diamond and watching the Richmond
Braves once in a while, but other than that, I dislike t.v. sports mainly
because its all about the money. PLayers back in the day of Babe Ruth and
Jackie Robinson knew how to enjoy the game and had much amity towards each
other. Today you see some people loaded up on steroids and just hitting the
ball. If they can't play anymore, their career is mainly screwed. And why ae
we to be pitied? If Albert Einstein decided to rush towards the t.v.
everytime the Slobberknocker Vikings played, would he have invented the
theory of relativity?

Its sorta sad that for many people, sports is their life. Kinda like the SCA.
Although I do love sports in the SCA such as rapier and heavy fighting.

Misha