[Sca-cooks] Casting - was Mariners and Brats

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 23 07:46:51 PDT 2001

ruadh wrote:

> Ted Williams [ Boston] stopped by my folks place to visit with my Great
> Grand Father. He gave G-Gramps a signed fishing rod for his 100 birthday
> [1961]. He gave me a few tips on casting, as the fishing hole was where the
> party was being held.

Actually, while a lot of the list members were at Pennsic, I found
myself teaching my son to cast with light spinning tackle. He had a
little trouble with some of the mechanics of it, until I told him, just
before he began an overhand cast, "Shomen Uchi."  (This is one name for
the most basic forward katana stroke, as well as a similar movement with
the empty hands.) Similarly, we did a sidearmed cast ("Yokomen Uchi.").

Now my kid casts further and more accurately than I ever did, and all I
have to do is disabuse him of his habit of sounding like Toshiro Mifune
passing a kidney stone _while_ he casts.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com