[Sca-cooks] Home Made Gatorade (OOP)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Aug 22 09:53:33 PDT 2001

> (Carbonated soft drinks are also mild diuretics.) Fruit drinks are already
> lightly sweetened, non-carbonated, and have the advantage of having
> vitamins and minerals that Gatorade doesn't. And are quite a bit tastier,
> too. I suspect that the reason that the reason water, carbonated soft drinks
> and fruit drinks are consumed in lower quantities is advertising, not how
> good they taste.

Fruit juice? Apparently research shows that excessive use CAN cause
diarrhea, which excerbates dehydration much more than diuretics. The
person doing the drinking will know what is appropriate for them. The
American Academy of Pediatrics certainly doesn't suggest it for dehydrated
kids:  http://www.aap.org/policy/re0047.html but of course kids are more
sensitive to that sort of thing.

The trick is to know what your body needs and pay attention carefully.
Then give your own personal body what it needs.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa