[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Iron Chef Results

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 08:40:46 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/28/01 8:16:32 AM Central Daylight Time,
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net writes:

<< However, that is NOT evidence one way or the other for cooking
 competitions. I really wish I could find that reference to a cook having
 to serve a complete meal to the judges to get certified a master cook,
 though. >>

Given the task of Guilds and the process of apprentice to master, why
wouldn't there have been such tests, but not known to outsiders? Again this
is suppostion, but Le Pastissiers Royale, of French reknown( I may have the
name wrong, but there is a royal society of high ranking pastry chefs, who's
membership is rather exclusive- Muiredach if you're reading this, help with
the name please) have a master's certifiaction exam. I remember reading in a
trade article that it dates back to the 1800's but the tradition goes back
much further, just not as documented or organized. Then too, each region had
their own specialties and ways of testing to make sure one was fit to call
themself a "Master". If there were Guild records of some sort, I'd think that
would be a place to start looking.

Finnebhir