[Sca-cooks] Apprenticing, again...

BaronessaIlaria at aol.com BaronessaIlaria at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 10:11:58 PDT 2001

In a message dated 08/28/2001 12:41:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
vavroom at bmee.net writes:

> It kinda grates me a little to think of the fact that if I want any kind of
"recognition"
> in the SCA, I'd have to apprentice again.  Also, I admit my near total
ignorance of
> how a cooking apprenticeship in the SCA involves.

You do not have to apprentice again. There are many peers in the SCA who were
never apprentices/proteges/squires. Of course, it never hurts to have a close
relationship with someone who has earned their peerage and can share their
knowledge with you - as mentor or simply friend and adviser.  More
importantly, the things you should concentrate on are actively pursuing
research in your chosen field, demonstrating your abilities and scholarship,
writing for local and kingdom newsletters or the TI, teaching others, and in
general displaying those attributes that are considered "peerish"  (which I
find very hard to quantify...).  Get into some feast kitchens and just help.
Work your way up to head cook. Perhaps develop a special interest area that
others in your kingdom are not already overdeveloping like...oh... Andorran
Live Goldfish Swallowing Practices...  ;)   Find yourself a niche and furnish
it comfortably...  Along the way, you may find someone who shares your
interest and has already earned a peerage for it. THEN would be the time to
consider apprenticing.

Ilaria