[Sca-cooks] Apprenticing, again...

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Aug 28 10:16:42 PDT 2001

> I'm a mundane chef by trade.  I did school, then apprenticeship in a
> private club in Montreal, QC, then worked for years in the field.
I've
> been out of that field for 6 or so years now.
>
> It kinda grates me a little to think of the fact that if I want any
kind of
> "recognition" in the SCA, I'd have to apprentice again.  Also, I admit
my
> near total ignorance of how a cooking apprenticeship in the SCA
involves.

> Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas/comments on what my next step
could/should be?

> BTW, I'm in the Chicagoland area, if any of you on the list happens to
be
> allowed and able to take on someone as an apprentice, please let me
know,
> I'd love to talk to you :-)

Muiredach I think there might be some confusion here on your part. Or
maybe its mine. lol

Apprenticeship in the Culinary Arts in the sca isn't really a vehicle
that one uses to learn "how" to cook imo, but rather, one strives to
understand more how medieval man cooked (technique), what they used
(implements), the mindset of Mrs. and Mr. Middle Ages, cultural ideas
regarding food of that time, etc. A very broad field of learning that
one never stops imo. It involves both the practical and the academic.

I highly doubt that the curriculum you were exposed to, or the
experience (albeit really really good experience) you have gained is
completely applicable to historical cooking. Applicable certainly in the
sense that you potentially have a leg up on the individual that knows
nothing of cooking in the first place, but you can only apply so much of
that garnered experience and knowledge to this Art. Consider it getting
your Doctorate in Culinary History.

I have yet to see a Laurel bestowed on someone for their ability to
cook...solely. It encompasses so much more. Consider your experience and
knowledge Step 1...you get to pass Go and collect....Step 2.

Finding a Laurel can be tricky and involves much. I certainly cannot sit
here and say..."this is the way its done..." as there are as many
different methods and ways as there are laurel/apprenticeship
relationships. I suspect you find someone in your area that you have a
good relationship with, and is a Cooking Laurel looking to take on
apprentices. Myself, I was approached by Dame TSivia to apprentice to
her even though she is a Bardic Laurel and not a Cooking one. There are
not alot of Cooking Laurels in my Kingdom, so this was an avenue I chose
to take many years ago. I am a self propelled apprentice and when I have
issues and questions I bring them here or to the few Cooking Masters in
my Kingdom. Tsivia takes care of the other stuff like keeping my
portfolio, talking about me to other Laurels (I think, Im not too privy
to that), encouraging me to teach, suggesting what I should do regarding
the practical side of the sca and making sure Im exposed to TPTB.

So apprenticing "again", is not what you'd really be doing. Much luck,
you sound really ready to pursue this. Given your experience and
knowledge, Im sure you'll shine.

Micaylah