[Sca-cooks] Apprenticing, again...

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Aug 28 10:20:25 PDT 2001

I really don't think you have to work as an apprentice to a Laurel, if that's
what you're talking about.  However, in a number of Kingdoms and/or local groups,
there are guilds which use the apprenticeship system.  I know I went through
one.  Usually, they are fairly loosely organized, and emphasize researching and
redacting period recipes, along with learning to prepare a feast for an event.
While I'm sure you're more than expert at the latter, you might want some
assistance in learning the former.  Again, given your experience, I suspect you
would probably move very quickly from being an apprentice to a journeyman.  But,
as I said, this is not a set thing and varies from place to place.

Some people feel that you have to apprentice to a Laurel in order to get that
kind of recognition.  I disagree, but again, that could be a Kingdom thing.  I
think that it really depends on what you want.  If you're in it for the
recognition, then you might want to find a Laurel to apprentice to.  If you want
to learn as much as you can just because...the easiest way is to find a Laurel
whose work you admire and ask to be that person's apprentice.  But it can be done
without that....

Kiri