[Sca-cooks] Personal Iron Chef Challenge

Gwynydd Of Culloden gwynydd_of_culloden at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 21:26:22 PDT 2001

He's not
> all that good if
> he thinks that Gaspacho and Pallella are period, come to think of
> it.

*laugh* Maybe he has seen one of my cookbooks (actually, I think I got rid
of it 'cause I was so horrified)  in which it is claimed that Columbus too
Gazpacho with him on his travels.  This lead to much hilarity in my family.
My Lady and I suggested that "Mrs Columbus", or Columbus' cook was the real
instigator of the voyages.  "Something is missing from this gazpacho ...
Columbus, get thee hence and find the missing ingredient" *brandishing
rolling pin* "and don't come home until you find it!"

Is is possible, btw, that gazpacho was a known dish before Columbus set off
and which changed dramatically when tomatoes began to be eaten in quantity
in Spain?

Gwynydd