[Sca-cooks] A cooking tale - LOOOOONG

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 30 19:01:32 PDT 2001

Mark.S Harris wrote:

>>A pack of eye bacon (800g), chopped, and fried with 1/2 the spinach and some
>>thinly sliced onion.
>>

> Tails? Eyes? On bacon? It doesn't sound like I'm in Kansas anymore...

My guess is that what is being discussed here is not what most Americans
think of as bacon, i.e. streaky bacon made from pork belly. At least
some, possibly most, possibly all, for all I know, bacon in the UK is
essentially boneless, cured pork loin, which, if you look at the next
rib pork chop you meet, has a round "eye" of meat in the middle, then a
tail, like the tail of a comma, of somewhat fattier, sometimes slightly
gristly, meat. This eye can presumably be trimmed before slicing, to
provide the real version of what Americans call Canadian bacon: little
round slices of leanish, cured pork.

Adamantius, non-sectarian bacon lover
--
Phil & Susan Troy