[Sca-cooks] More venison stuff

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 7 06:27:00 PST 2001

Hullo, the list!

Okay, I tricked you. So far from having info about venison, rather, I
have some questions and ideas to bounce around.

For the EK12N feast, I'll be dealing with whole, bone-in rounds/legs of
venison, ~20 lbs each. What I need to know is, what is my approximate EP
(edible portion) after trimming off various silverskin, gristle,
removing bones, etc. I'm sort of working on the assumption that the
bottom rounds should be moist-heat-cooked, while the top rounds can be
pounded into cutlets. My plan is to pre-cook the braising portions in
wine, carefully trimmed and tied, so that they can be sliced, cold, into
rounds and browned/reheated on the griddle, along with the [hopefully]
similarly-sized-and-shaped top round cutlets, which will be marinated
but not otherwise precooked. The idea is to make all the meat tender and
looking more or less uniform, with the more blatant visual discrepancies
  carefully concealed with pevorade.

The shank portions may conveniently disappear and end up in a stew the
next day ;-). We'll see.

Does anyone see any obvious flaw in this plan?

What I would _like_ to do is lard the bejeezus out of them and roast
them, whole, but I doubt this will happen for various reasons, the main
one being that I don't know exactly how long prior to service I will
actually have my hands on this meat. I may not be in a position to do
anything at all until the day of the event.

Many thanks for any ideas on this!

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy