[Sca-cooks] Another pie crust recipe

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Fri Dec 7 09:40:10 PST 2001

My mom used to cook for my high school.  She gave me the following pie crust
recipe (makes 5 @ 9" pie shells and can be frozen).

3 cups all purpose flour
1 to 1 1/2 cups shortening (I usually use butter flavored Crisco)
pinch of salt
1 egg, broken into a one cup measure
1 tbsp. vinegar in the measuring cup with the egg
cold water to finish filling the measuring cup to one full cup

(I use my food processor for this) Mix flour and salt together.  Cut in
shortening. (Pour into a mixing bowl) Add liquid all at once, stir until
incorporated.  It will be sticky. Cover and refrigerate one hour or until ready
to use.

Flour the work surface well.  Add a lump of the dough and knead in additional
flour until it is no longer sticky, turning and adding flour as necessary to
keep it from sticking to the board or rolling pin.  Roll the dough up on the
rolling pin to transfer to the pie plate (or whatever).  I've always ended up
with good-tasting and flaky pie crusts.

Liadan