[Sca-cooks] Coloring bread...

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 7 09:59:21 PST 2001

Hello All!

I thought it would be a cute idea (evile plans of mice and arte, it seems)
if when I make my bread for Yule, that I color it possibly green/red/blue or
any combination there of.  Spoke to someone who told me not to use food
coloring for said project because the coloring would probably turn lighter
(like olive green instead of the bright green I was hoping for).

So, anyone have suggestions on what to use to dye the bread different
colors?  Read a recipe for some red pears using red sandalwood for the
coloring...is using this a possibility?  Anything else?  My friend suggested
maybe using dill as a colorant, but it isn't exactly the effect (and our
baroness is allergic to just about anything, so I'm afraid to use dill).

Also this same bread, I was going to use the machet recipe...and possibly do
salt crusted since its an accompaniment to Pate which isn't very salty (I
don't want to overload it with salt).  Saltines tastes very yummy with the
first try, but I don't want to serve it with crackers...ANYHOW, to do salt
encrusted with bread, just make bread and spread salt across the top just
before you bake it (it's an uncooked loaf by that time), right?

There are those colored sugars that bakers use on cookies...do you think
using this on a bread might be interesting to accompany a somewhat sweet
chicken liver pate?  What do you all think?

--Artemesia