[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1119 - 13 msgs

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Dec 17 07:36:54 PST 2001

Overall good advice, but there is a very marked and visible difference
between poison sumac and staghorn sumac [the edible kind ;-)] The poison
sumach looks very much like poison oak and poison ivy, and staghorn sumac is
a large shrub with fuzzy stem/branches and very distinctive berry clusters.

Anybody interested, I could wander back out into my field and take pictures
of the good sumac ;-)
[although I did do that last year as well...]
margali

the quote starts here:
 Don't eat what's growing near you
until you are certain that it's the edible Levantine kind of sumac,
and not some other kind, which IIRC from our previous discussion of
sumac on this list, is not safe to eat.

Anahita