[Sca-cooks] Court News from Lochac

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Dec 5 00:36:53 PST 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Kiri said:
> > A landed Baron is one who holds a Barony for his/her Kingdom.  He/she is
> > the voice of the King to the people in the Barony.  A Court Baron is one
> > who has been rewarded by the King for services to the Kingdom by this
> > rank.  Sometimes it is accompanied by a Grant of Arms.
>
> Why would it be accompanied by a Grant of Arms, when a Court Baroncy
> outranks a Grant, by a fair amount I thought?

Depends on the Kingdom, Stefan- A Court Baronet carries the rank and
precedence of AoA in An Tir, at least officially. You may get treated
differently, but that's how it works in the OP. And if you don't already
have an AoA, it comes with one.

> Of course, some kingdoms award such a thing as a Royal Peerage, when
> the title of Count or Duke, which one receives for the same work,
> outranks any of the Peerages. The idea of the Royal Peerage sounds
> pretty redundant to me, and apparently to those in Ansteorra, who
> do not grant Royal Peerages, although they do recognise those awarded
> elsewhere.

Royal Peerage is a overall title for someone who has sat a Principality
or Kingdom throne. When you step down (unless there was a BIG problem)
you get your title (Count, Duke, whatever) and a Patent of Arms.
OFFICIALLY this is the *equal* of a Knight, Laurel, or Pelican (which
are also Patents), but we all know how that works in practice. We all
know the swaggering Duke who looks down on someone who is 'only' a
Knight and not royalty- and we all know the peers who say that Countess
Sew-and-Sew isn't a Real Peer because _she_ didn't 'earn it'- she was
fought for and was Queen. [NOTICE: I DO NOT PERSONALLY ASCRIBE TO EITHER
OF THESE OPINIONS, BUT I HAVE HEARD THEM BOTH FROM THE MOUTHS OF PERSONS
WHO I OTHERWISE RESPECT.]

At any rate, I give reverence to the hat, but the person under it has
got to earn my respect.

Gotta go back to work- Hey! I got those @#$%^&* griffins done!

'Lainie