[Sca-cooks] Court News from Lochac

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 5 08:59:01 PST 2001

Lanie wrote:

> Royal Peerage is a overall title for someone who has sat a Principality
> or Kingdom throne. When you step down (unless there was a BIG problem)
> you get your title (Count, Duke, whatever) and a Patent of Arms.
> OFFICIALLY this is the *equal* of a Knight, Laurel, or Pelican (which
> are also Patents), but we all know how that works in practice. We all
> know the swaggering Duke who looks down on someone who is 'only' a
> Knight and not royalty- and we all know the peers who say that Countess
> Sew-and-Sew isn't a Real Peer because _she_ didn't 'earn it'- she was
> fought for and was Queen. [NOTICE: I DO NOT PERSONALLY ASCRIBE TO EITHER OF
> THESE OPINIONS, BUT I HAVE HEARD THEM BOTH FROM THE MOUTHS OF PERSONS WHO I
> OTHERWISE RESPECT.]

County or Viscounty rank comes with a Patent of Arms if the bearer does not
already have one.  We politely call the Chivalry, Laurels and Pelicans the
"polling orders" as opposed to the Order of the Rose which is not.  If you don't
think a Countess has earned her peerage, you haven't observed your queens
closely enough.  On the other hand, a member of a polling order with that snipey
a mouth, well, you might re-think that respect.

I am a peer but not a "hat."  I do fascinating things with circlets, none of
which have ascending points but LOTS of drippy beadwork coming down!
Bwah-ha-ha!

Elsewhere, Lainie continues:

>Now- unless someone turned out the lights on me a re-wrote the rules,
>you don't have to have your name passed to get an AoA. In submission is
>good. But heck, I know DUKES who don't have their name and device
>through, and some not of their own fault. The College of Heralds and the
>Crown are independent of each other.

Inter-Kingdom Anthropology again.  In Caid, you must have your name and device
at least in submission at the time of Crown Tournament in order to be a
Combatant or Consort in competition, in addition to residence requirements.  The
theory being, that if you want to hold a leadership position, you need to set
some kind of a good example.  Besides, how do we know what colors to make your
coronation presents if you don't have a device?  This makes for $%^& long
heraldry meetings just prior to Crown Tournament, but I think it's worthwhile.

Selene, Caid