[Sca-cooks] Re: Research cooking vessels, pottery

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:21:40 PST 2001

>Much that I know about ceramics and cookware, I've heard of
>pipkins(Muiredach, don't laugh at me) I don't know what they look >like.
>Can you please describe one or post a picture?

I can do both, but I'll describe one first.  It's basically a bowl with
three legs on it...they also have different types of handles.  Some have
lids, some don't...others have short legs or long.  Here is a link (I hope
this works) to two I made for Caid's Pentathlon this year:
http://www.sca-caid.org/arts&sciences/pentathlon/48-215-6.html

I have documentation if you're interested...I just don't want to bore
everyone to tears with it. :)

>I do know what a chaffing dish is, though thanks. *shudder* Too many >days
>as a caterer.

Ah, but have you seen a period chaffing dish?  VERY cool.  Sort of looks
like a funnel, with a cool comparment in the bottom for the coal.  Reminds
me of a hibachi (I guess so, to a degree).  I haven't made one yet, but I
plan to after I finish all the other projects I've commited to (and I
probably should be commited...or someone should pop my hellium hands). :)

--Arte