[Sca-cooks] Tricky question about relatives - sort OT, definitely OOP

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Dec 6 07:00:52 PST 2001

My father is usually not allowed near the kitchen because his sense of
taste is shot from long years of smoking heavily and thus he oversalts
things to the point of inedibility. He is otherwise in charge of
barbecuing and egg foo yung, and claims to have taught my mother how to
make properly edible fried eggs.

Mom taught both her children to cook at an early age, and her parents
taught us to bake. Both my grandmothers and my mother are good cooks,
although not fancy stuff. All of us on Mom's side, except my sister, can
make good pie crust. It's a family joke at this point, that she missed out
on the pie crust gene.

I'm the only one that cooks "yuppie food", though, and I think I'm the
only one in the family who actually owns a pasta maker. But, I am an utter
failure at making stuffed cabbage rolls, so I suppose there's balance.

Margaret