[Sca-cooks] kitchen scales

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Fri Dec 7 16:51:59 PST 2001

>So, does anyone have any recommendations for the type or
>brand of kitchen scale I should look for? Or what features
>are useful to have and which ones aren't worth it?

Can't help with brands, but here are a few thoughts...

If you only do part time bake and want to get used to the thought of
weighting ingredients, get a dieting scale at the grocery store, the more
preceise the better.  For about two years, here, I used that.  One that
would go up to a pound, divided by half ounces.  This, of course, is the
*least* desirable option, as you really can't do big quantities and be all
that precise.

I will be getting myself an electronic kitchen scale.  One that lets you
choose between metric and imperial, and also one that you can set to zero
after placing a bowl on it.  One that would divide down to 1 gram.  They
are available for not all that much money.

Here are a couple that looked good at a quick web search
http://www.pastrychef.com/Catalog/Pastry%20and%20Baking%20Tools/ELECTRONIC%20KITCHEN%20SCALE.htm

http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l/en/boutique/produits/balance/met-bal_terrail.html

I'm in the middle of doing orange flavoured chocolate truffles...  Kinda
had to use the chocolate I had, after our discussions :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom
aka