[Sca-cooks] kitchen scales

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Sat Dec 8 08:55:29 PST 2001

> So, does anyone have any recommendations for the type or
> brand of kitchen scale I should look for? Or what features
> are useful to have and which ones aren't worth it?

I have two - a small, one pound dieting scale with very small
increments, and a five pounder that my mother permanently lent me.  I'd
look for one that is not digital.  I trust the accuracy of the
old-fashioned dial ones more, and tareing them is very easy.  That's
really nice when you want to measure something into a bowl or measuring
cup instead of the little pan that is provided with the scale.  On the
same note, you should be able to remove that little pan easily for
cleaning, and whatever platform it sits on should be suitably sturdy to
hold a different vessel.  If you're shopping for it in person, you might
take a couple pre-weighed things with you and use them to test the
scale's accuracy.  Remember that accuracy can vary with greater weights,
so if you're shopping for a 5 pound scale, take something under one
pound and something close to 5 pounds.

-Magdalena