[Sca-cooks] Re: rice pudding & marrow

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 12 19:37:06 PST 2001

Craig Jones. wrote:

> What leads you to believe it is a sausage recipe, the only thing that
> intimates that in the recipe is this line: "and so put it into the
> frams, and boyl them as well before shewed, and serve them after a day
> old".  I would assume that "frams" would be translated as frame so I'm
> assuming a ramekin, placing the rice/spice/cream/suet goo in the
> ramekin and boiling it until it sets.
>
> Maybe my brain is fried and I'm not understanding something... Where
> does the sausage thing come from?  Please educate me Obi Wan
> Adamantius...

Reach out with your feelings, Drakey. Use the Source!

Markham has about ten assorted sausage and pud recipes, overall,
including a link sausage recipe which makes it pretty clear that farmes
are cleaned intestines used as casings. Digby and Plat call them
tharmes, IIRC. I assume there's somebody's regional dialect involved in
the shift. Unless false teeth are involved.

Anyway, there are a couple of these recipe which describe in more detail
how you clean and fill the casings, and then some recipes which gloss
over the process. This is one of them, "as before shewed".

  Also the part about serving them after a day old is a bit of a
give-away, although it's an easy one to miss if you haven't made
sausages before. Suffice it to say it's a more common instruction in s
sausage recipe than in a dessert recipe.

A.

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com