[Sca-cooks] Kumiss

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 14 17:14:50 PST 2001

Mark.S Harris wrote:

> Adamatius commented:
>
>>On the other hand, so-called-sickoDrakey, if you wait for the white
>>precipitate to drop, you can then take the clear liquid and add a piece
>>of boiled venison knuckle, and let it re-ferment. Yez, Drakey, vee titch
>>yu tu drrreenk like a MAN!!!
>>
>>Adamantius (sorry about the last bit, I'm quoting an old Polish man at a
>>wedding)
>>

> So, what does adding the boiled venison knuckle do for (to?) the
> kumiss? What is left in the concoction to still ferment?
>
> Or is the entire parapgraph a quote from some Polish man at a funeral?

The meat is slowly digested by the yeasts. Yeah, I know, thass
impossible, as yeasts eat sugars only, but it still happens. Maybe some
weak acids build up in the "wine", which might help.

This is not unprecedented; there are accounts of particular vintages of
cider in places like Kent, to which a leg of mutton is added, only to be
completely digested by the fermenting brew. And then, of course, Kenelm
Digby has a recipe for Cock Ale, along similar lines.

And as weird as it sounds, Cock Ale is darned good, if you make it
correctly.

No, the Polish man simply said he would teach a friend of mine, the one
at the wedding, to drink like man...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy