[Sca-cooks] "Cook's Illustrated"mag review

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Mon Dec 17 15:10:09 PST 2001

Amanda queried:
>  Does anyone on the list subscribe to either "Cook's Illustrated" the
magazine, or > I'm up being given a subscription to one or other for a
seasonal gift...

        I do!  I do!  I'm a fan of this magazine.  Have been getting a
subscription for about a year now,  and I really enjoy it.  The writers talk
about their failures,  how they came upon the  "right" technique/recipe.
They explain the chemistry/physics of cooking & baking very well.  The
recipes are not so "hoyty-toty"  yet not too basic either.  A good balance:
something for a beginner cook, yet intriguing for a skilled cook.

    If I could only choose  *one* cooking mag,  this might be it . . . . .

    Caointairn