period bread was ( [Sca-cooks] Ok... Who sent...)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 22 07:57:35 PST 2001

Most of the great households hired a guild baker and average people who made
their own bread usually didn't write the recipe down.  So most of the
mysteries stayed with the guild.  There are about five or six recipes which
have survived.  Most of those are in the Florilegium.

When I first did the manchet recipe, the rise failed and I got what I
referred to as Francis Drake's bowling balls.  The next experiment worked
much better.

Well, I better get back to preparing the Elizabethan wedding dinner I'm
catering this afternoon.

Bear