[Sca-cooks] champagne, as opposed to real pain

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 13:20:47 PST 2001

Actually, there is a treaty that the French made other
European countries sign that only France can call
their sparkling wines "champagne".  However, they
never asked the US or the other non-European wine
producers to sign such a treaty.  So California wine
makers can call their sparkling wines "champagne"
because they use the same "methode champagnoise" as is
used in France.

As for it not coming from the Champagne region of
France, well I am sure you have had burgundies from
other places than Burgundy and sherries from other
places than Jerez and ports not from Portugal.  In
many blind taste tests, California champagnes have
frequently been prefered over French champagnes by
expert judges.  Korbel and Domaine Chandon are the
best of the California champagne makers, in my humble
opinion.  But the best "champagne" that I have ever
tasted was German, the Pieroth Meisters Cuveé.  Some
years ago, I went to a New Year's Eve party and
brought two bottles of the Meisters Cuveé, which I
shared with the others at the party.  At midnight, the
hosts brought out a case of Taittengers to toast the
new year.  Everyone, including the hosts, felt that
the Pieroth was the superior champagne.

As for "pink champagne", I have been told that it was
in reality sparkling rosé, and not made from the
champagne grape.  There are bottlers who have labeled
their product as "pink champagne" but are misleading
you as to what their product really is.  If someone
has hybridized a pink champagne grape, I have never
heard of it.

Huette

--- Gorgeous Muiredach <muiredach at bmee.net> wrote:

> >There is no such thing as
> >"pink champagne".  What you may be thinking of is
> >either sparkling rosé or cold duck.
>
> Huette,
>
> I fear that there just might be such a thing as pink
> *Champagne*.  I can't
> remember off the top of my head which house makes
> it, but I distinctly
> remember having had some.  I shall have to get back
> to you on this.
>
> >Of the California champagnes
>
> But...  That's a contradiction in terms...  If it's
> not made in Champagne,
> France, it ain't champagne ;-)  Though I'll admit to
> have been taken to a
> winery in California that had some really decent
> stuff.  Can't remember the
> name of it either!  Suffering from accute CRS right
> now...  I'll have to
> ask my friend next time I talk to her.
>

> BTW, CRS== Can't Remember Sh*t... :-)
>
> Gorgeous Muiredach
> Rokkehealden Shire
> Middle Kingdom
> aka
> Nicolas Steenhout
> "You must deal with me as I think of myself" J.
> Hockenberry

=====
shall never cease to be amused.