[Sca-cooks] Propane-fired washtub

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 28 22:54:37 PST 2001

Diana Skaggs wrote:

> At 06:10 PM 12/28/01 -0600, you wrote:
>
>>Oooh. That's an idea. Propane is available at Pennsic and since they
>>added all those restrictions about having to bring in your own water
>>and carry it out in order to use your hottub at Pennsic, there must
>>be plenty of vacant hottubs available....
>>

> Stefan,
> She said "washtub" NOT "hottub." BTW, I'm planning to bring my washtubs and
> stand for next Pennsic, along with the propane ring I brought this year. If
> you want to scour the darned thing - before and after savory cheese -
> you're welcome. But we could use the biggest stockpot Margali brought, with
> the next smaller one as a "double-boiler" insert so the cheese wouldn't
> burn on the bottom.
>
> Liadan

Bzzzt. Danger.

Please excuse me if my caffeine-based logic system is faulty at this
hour. I'm taking a break from event number-crunching. ("Adamantius, do
you _really_ want me to buy 400 gallons of malt vinegar?" "Nah, I must
have been high on caffeine when I wrote that.")

Are we talking about using a galvanized washtub, as in, zinc plated? Are
we heating this with food inside it in direct contact?

I ask because various metalworkers have told me that you have to remove
the zinc plating with something like muriotic acid to prevent oxidation
of the zinc in high heat. Apparently it produces dangerously toxic fumes?

Does anybody have any more info on this? Maybe it's okay if done
outdoors; I have no direct experience with this.

Adamantius, who'd hate to see a washtub full of Savory Toasted or Melted
Cheese be chucked up...
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com