[Sca-cooks] trains

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Dec 30 01:04:33 PST 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Lainie declared:
> > Ponies! *Snort*! Next you'll be saying there are carts that move without
> > horses! Harumph!
>
> Oh, my Lady, I can tell that you have not travelled far from home.
> Or perhaps you are just having fun with us.
> Of course there are carts that move without horses.
>
> Have you not travelled over the mountain passes?

Ha! Mountains? Why would I want to go to Italy that way? That's what
boats are for. And most of my travel has been on horseback- carts are
for the baggage.

> Don't you remember
> the horses straining to hold back the carts to keep them from careening
> down the path?

No- our carts have brakes. ;-)

Stefan, you are being willfully obtuse. :-) I mean the tales of carts
that travel on the flat without an animal to pull them. We all know
something will go downhill if poorly attended or if there is an
accident.

Next we know, there will be stories of people travelling int eh sky like
birds, and then inquisitors will come...

> Sigh. And people question why those goods from distant lands cost
> so much in the market...

Piracy. Brigands. Losses at sea. Taxes and import duties. Brake failure
on a horsecart is the least of a merchant's worries.

My darling gifted me with a box of imported saffron for Christmas...

'Lainie