[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]travelling foods

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 17:50:30 PST 2001

>Jerky, definitely.  Sometimes flavored licorice sticks (strawberry),
>gummi sharks, and Diet Mtn Dew.  And if I'm really desperate, Korn Nuts.
>My usual travelling companion (actually, it's _her_ car) also needs
>those thin, hard candy wafers that come in a roll that I can never
>remember the name of.
>--Maire

This is fun. But I don't think any of it answers the original
post. What was a typical travelling food for those in period?
I would think fruits and dried meats. Probably bread rolls.
I know many would carry bags of meal but that's not exactly
"munchable" food. I'm sure there would be vendors in hamlets
and such that would sell pies and such to travellers.

Anything documentable other than rations for Roman soldiers?

Gunthar