SC - No Vatel for Me

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 16:26:10 PST 2001

At 17:13 -0500 2001-02-22, Jenne Heise wrote:

> I strongly suspect that this information did NOT come from C. Anne Wilson,
> or at least from no edition of _Food and Drink in Britain_, but from
> another source. (As a librarian we see this a lot: I call it 'citation
> transfer'-- where one citation attaches itself to your notes from another
> source. It's not uncommon: librarians estimate that 30% of scholarly
> citations are inaccurate in some way and even outright wrong.)

Good call.  The original author confirms that he was working from
a photocopy and that the citation could easily have been to the
wrong book.

So (plaintive plea) could those who have pre-1985 English language
medieval cooking or social customs books check page 58 (and its
neighbours)?  The caption to the illustration is in italics, so
you can skip any books where that's not true.

Thorvald