SC - New to the list

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 26 19:51:41 PST 2001

Kiri replied to Gunthar's comments on different ways of cooking
chickens for different types of stock said:
> thanks!  Great information.

> Michael Gunter wrote:
> > Either way is acceptable, depending on the type of stock you
> > want. Roasting the chicken first creates a darker, richer
> > stock which is great for some dishes but is too strong for others.
> > Chicken pies, hearty chicken stews, things with full-flavor are
> > great for a roasted chicken stock. But if you want something lighter
> > or more delicate then the boiled chicken stock is needed. But you
> > can never really go wrong with the boiled stock.

Yes, it is. It will be going in my broth-msg file. For those who are
new to this list, we've had a number of interesting discussions on the
best ways to make broth, special broths for vegetarians and others. Some
of this is in this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
broths-msg        (43K)  6/23/00    Broths in period recipes. Substitutions.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net