SC - filet mignon OOP

Brian Matthews thain at monmouth.com
Tue Jan 23 20:21:58 PST 2001

Would someone give me a definitive explanation of what
filet mignon is?

Yesterday, I went to a nice restaurant with a good
reputation of being able to produce a decent steak.
They had, as their special of the day, filet mignon.
I ordered it "medium".  What I got was a 4" mostly
square piece of meat about 1/2" thick, that looked
like a steak, but not what I would call filet mignon.
Their response was that just because it didn't have
bacon didn't mean that it wasn't filet mignon.  I
always equal filet mignon with tenderness.  The meat
that I was given was tough, like a round steak, and
cooked to that I would call if I were in a good mood
"medium well", or "well" if I was in a bad mood.  I
sent it back, asking for a piece that was less tough
and one that was cooked "medium".  I got the same
piece back and was told that it was "medium".  I asked
the waiter that if it was medium, why wasn't it pink
anywhere?  I then asked to see the manager, who really
didn't settle the problem. He just removed the item
from the bill and charged me just for the soup and the
veggies that I had eaten.  I had lost my appetite
anyway by then.

I have been stewing about this since yesterday.  I
don't think that I was wrong or being unreasonable.  I
very rarely send things back.  I really surprised my
family when I did.  But I won't ever pay $20 for a
piece of round steak, just because it is being served
in a nice restaurant under false pretenses.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.