SC - Marzipan

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Jan 24 11:33:55 PST 2001

- --part1_e.7f7901a.27a12b57_boundary

In a message dated 1/24/01 10:57:56 PM Mountain Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> > Alcohol evaporates at a lower temperature than water,
> > so if the liquid ingredients are brought to a boil,
> > almost all of the alcohol will be driven off as
> > alcohol vapor.
>
> One problem with this model, and probably the salient point and source
> of confusion, is that alcohol _begins to_ evaporate at a lower
> temperature than water _begins to_ evaporate, so simply reaching the
> boiling point of water won't remove all of it. There are a huge number
> of variables, including relative humidity, altitude/air pressure, etc.

I don't know how available they are, but the local restaurant supply store
had some little chem strips which specifically test for the presence of
alcohol.  I know because I purchased some and used them for my last feast.
We have a high concentration in the area of a certain religious group which
will not consume alcohol.  By making the recipes and testing for alcohol with
these chem strips, I was able to assure them that they would not be ingesting
alcohol.  It also helped me to know that I had cooked the sauces etc. enough
that I would not be causing any children to unknowingly imbibe.

They were relatively inexpensive and very easy to use.  Don't know the brand
name but you might try inquiring at a restaurant supply house for them.

Constance de la Rose

- --part1_e.7f7901a.27a12b57_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE=2><B>In a message dated 1/24/01 10:57:56 PM Mountain Standard Time, troy at asan.com