[Sca-cooks] camels

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jul 8 17:59:46 PDT 2001

> Daniel Raoul,  peaking over the rock
said:

Better be careful, Daniel. I hear they can spit quite a long way.

> >So...where did you get the camel again???  Never had camel.  I didn't know
> >people ate them.

Why would you want to eat something that ugly? But I guess once it's
hamburger, it's hard to tell if it came from cow, horse, camel or
whatever.

> It is my understanding that, male camels not being highly prized, "camel
> burgers" are not an uncommon bill of fare in certain Middle Eastern
> countries.  Stefan may have a recipe.

Nope. As far as I know, neither in the Florilegium or my non-period
recipes folder. I think I have this story of the feast with the animals
stuffed inside animals and then inside a camel but no recipes.

However, if anyone has any period camel recipes, I'd like to have them
for the Florilegium. There's already some strange animals in the
exotic-meats-msg file.

> Old if somewhat non-PC Middle Eastern blessing,  "May all your children be
> male and all your camels be female."

Do male camels not make good beasts of burden? Perhaps they are harder
to control? Or do the Arabs milk camels? Maybe its because female
children eventually require dowries and female camels don't? :-)

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net