[Sca-cooks] Sharks and sushi

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Tue Jul 10 13:45:53 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/10/01 12:20:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
phlip_u at yahoo.com writes:

<< There are certain absolutely
 wonderful Mexican recipes (and no doubt others from
 other cultures, of which I am unaware) which use lime
 juice as the acid with the fish, producing a product
 which tastes "cooked" even though no heat is applied.
 I'm not talking here about the Japanese sushi or
 sashimi, which is frequently, "just" raw fish.... >>

Ceviche is one of those recipes. Bits of cut up raw fish that are mixed
together with lime juice or vinegar and marinated until "cooked". Amazing if
done properly. can't be too young or else you just have underdone fish.

Also, "sushi" just refers to the vinegared rice with which the various types
of nori (seaweed) and fillers are mixed. A common misconception that people
think of is that "sushi" refers to raw fish. Types of sushi take their names
from the fillers, not the rice.

Finnebhir (now where did that bamboo mat go....)