[Sca-cooks] Sharks and sushi

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 14:26:48 PDT 2001

> Ceviche is one of those recipes. Bits of cut up raw
> fish that are mixed
> together with lime juice or vinegar and marinated
> until "cooked". Amazing if
> done properly. can't be too young or else you just
> have underdone fish.

Yeah, thanks, couldn't think of the name while I was
posting. Amazing, as far as flavor goes, just doesn't
cover it ;-)

> Also, "sushi" just refers to the vinegared rice with
> which the various types
> of nori (seaweed) and fillers are mixed. A common
> misconception that people
> think of is that "sushi" refers to raw fish. Types
> of sushi take their names
> from the fillers, not the rice.

Understood, but considering I was getting a bit
technical with the chemical reactions, I was trying
not to get too complicated- trying to deal with every
food related chemical reaction in the world, not to
mention the cultural differences and appropriate
nomenclature was a bit beyond the scope of one email
;-)

> Finnebhir (now where did that bamboo mat go....)

S'awright- Adamantius has me out grilling.... and not
one of those aggravating cats of mine had the decency
to curl up in my frying pan and cook themselves.....

Phlipo