[Sca-cooks] "Carrots Roste"

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Wed Jul 11 14:11:47 PDT 2001

	Gunthar wrote:
> Most of the dishes were from Pleyn Delit.
> The carrot salad is called "Carrots Roste".
> The carrots were roasted and dressed with
> herbs (parsley, dill, thyme) and wine vinegar.
> Salt and pepper and a bit of ginger (I believe)
> and some olive oil.
>
> The carrots were roasted al dente and tasted
> very fresh and summery.

	We used this recipe as a feast dish for
Northrealms Banner War, and it worked quite well.
We originally used 1/2 parsley and 1/2 tarragon
for the herbs (not specified in the original),
which made a tasty test batch; however, the
weekend of the War, there was no fresh tarragon
to be had anywhere in town!  We went with 1/2
parsley and 1/2 thyme, and that worked, too.
To save time at a large event, we used pre-
packaged "baby carrots", which worked beautifully,
though I recall that the book tells you *not*
to use them, for some reason (we decided to live
dangerously and give 'em a try anyway).
	As has been noted by others, carrots
seem unpopular at feasts -- we had lots of this
dish left over at the end.  However, since it was
a 3-day event, we recycled them in a "leftover
stew" for dinner the next night, where they
provided extra flavor, and nobody had any
objections to them at all (they didn't even
need to be cut into smaller pieces!  I love
modern conveniences sometimes . . .).
	FWIW, I really like this method of
preparing carrots.  If they're cooked to just
a crisp-tender consistency, they're much nicer
than the average run of cooked root veggies.

	-- Ruth