[Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Jul 11 09:08:20 PDT 2001

Thomas Longshanks said:
> Recently, Sams Club and Costco have been offering a set of cast iron cooking
> gear from Wenzel, for under $40, and you get this nifty wooden chest, to
> boot. You get a double-sided grill/griddle, two or three skillets, and a
> dutch oven. I got the set last year, and it offered three smaller skillets
> and a deep dutch oven with legs and a deep lid for coals. This year, the
> same set offers two larger skillets and a shallower dutch oven without legs,
> but it includes a lid lifter and a modern version of the
> trespies/trespeus/trespiedi.
>
> While a dutch oven may not be exactly period, it is almost identical in form
> and function.

Just in case someone, especially someone new to cooking on cast iron
cookware, rushes out to buy this set, please remember that these do need
to be 'seasoned' before their initial use.

For more details, see this file (ah, no not the salt-msg file :-) ) in
the FOOD-UTENSILS section of the Florilegium:
iron-pot-care-msg (22K)  2/ 1/00    Seasoning and caring for iron pots
and
                                       skillets.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/iron-pot-care-msg.html

Stefan li Rous