[Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Jul 11 09:43:44 PDT 2001

> > and a deep dutch oven with legs and a deep lid for coals. This year,
the
> > same set offers two larger skillets and a shallower dutch oven
without legs,
> > but it includes a lid lifter and a modern version of the
> > trespies/trespeus/trespiedi.

I highly recommend that you do NOT get a Dutch oven without legs. This
causes all sorts of problems regarding airflow and burnage capabilites.
Of course this point is moot if you are hanging the Dutch oven on a
tripod.

But 40 bucks...wow what a deal! If this was the price in Canada I would
certainly be questioning the quality of the cast iron and would suspect
there was aluminium involved. Bad aluminium, bad.

> > While a dutch oven may not be exactly period, it is almost identical
in form
> > and function.

And definately passes the "10 foot rule" and looks much better than a
large stainless steel pot on a coleman. :) Its also a little bit of a
challenge to cook in this fashion. Certainly fluffs my skirts...when Im
up to it.

I roasted onions for a feast I did a few weeks ago in my dutch oven.
What a hoot, roasted them perfectly, although I do admit to a few (very
few) crispy bits. My bad.

Another aspect of cooking with this method; it seems people just love to
come over and ask whats in the pot? Makes for quite a social gathering
around the tripod.

> Just in case someone, especially someone new to cooking on cast iron
> cookware, rushes out to buy this set, please remember that these do
need
> to be 'seasoned' before their initial use.

I also store my cast iron "seasoned". I bought a little pump atomizer
that holds oil and spray my stuff after each use. Its good to get into
all the little corners and crannies.

Micaylah