[Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Jul 11 17:53:10 PDT 2001

> Campfire cooking takes a bit longer, but what I did for Pennsic a few
years
> ago, was marinate my chicken in olive oil and various herbs, wrapped
tightly
> in foil and set near the edge of the fire. It takes longer, but you
won't
> step into the fire pit either.
>
> Finnebhir

I love foil packet cooking and other alternative methods of camping.
Since I dont tend to fry anything I eat (slight grease intolerance),
actual cooking is always an adventure with me. BBQ, steaks on a grill
over a fire, poaching, griddle baking, whatever....its just something I
like doing. Prep work however, is a completely different story. Yuck.
Give me cooking and presentation every time.

A number of years ago we built a fire pit to grill 90 chicken breasts at
one of the camping feastettes I did. The actual count was for 43 people,
but I really didnt want to waste my time cooking these in batches (no
not the people), so we made this kickass grill that must have been 6
feet long and did them all at once. The fire generated a fairly high
degree of heat after the coals had settled in, and I, not overly fondly,
recall "stepping into the fire pit" on more than one occasion. I know I
still have those sandals somewhere.

Micaylah