[Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jul 11 22:34:16 PDT 2001

Finnebhir commented:
> Also sometimes really stuck on or burnt things can be removed by boiling
> vinegar in the pot. However you need to fully re-season afterwards. Moral of
> the story, don't burn things in your seasoned pots and pans.

Yep. Back in the Boy Scouts we didn't realize when cooking biscuits
(in this case fruit turnovers) in a dutch oven, you should cook them
on a metal plate raised off the dutch oven bottom on a couple of
pebbles. The top portion was wonderful. The last burned on part of
the bottoms took a hammer and a cold chisel.

Luckily this was an alluminum dutch oven and didn't need seasoning.
I also hiked over a moutain ridge carrying an iron dutch oven. Alluminun
dutch ovens definitely have some advantages.

Buying such an item from the stores that carry Boy Scout equipment
is sometimes worth looking into. The store markup on such items is
intentionally kept low, or at least used to be, twenty years ago
when I was active in the Scouts. I'm not sure now. The national
leadership seems to have gone downhill considering some of their
recent decisions and court cases, so maybe this has changed. Reminds
me a lot of the way the SCA national headquarters was in 1994. :-(

Stefan

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net