[Sca-cooks] victoria

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jul 13 07:49:43 PDT 2001

ruadh wrote:

> and if you took the species V. Spongi in its traditional horizontal spilt
> with sweets mid-section, then encase in thick layering of sugary Chocolate
> enhancements [ and to some excess]. Ship it over to the Yanks, who will
> rename it as Boston Cream Pie. No longer a cake or sandwich, but now "pie" ?
> Oh, my.  Ru

Nononono. Ulla, get car. Get car.

Ahem. I'm okay, now.

Boston Cream Pie, which may or may not be from Boston (I'm not
questioning this, I simply don't know) has always had, in my own
experience, a fairly thin layer of a sort of gooey, vaguely fondant-ish,
vaguely buttercream-ish chocolate stuff, and a filling of pastry cream
(as discussed earlier, this is generally a thick, starch-stabilized,
stirred custard), and there's a lot of it, as opposed to my
understanding of Victoria Sandwich, which has a noticable but not hugely
substantial layer of schtuff in between...

I'll see if I can drag out my crumbly old Boston Cooking School
Cookbook, which, IIRC, was written _before_ there was a Fannie Farmer...
I would bet money there's no such recipe in Julia Childs' American
Frugal Housewife...

Actually, both the US and the UK have a fairly astonishing number of
dishes that stretch the definition of the word "pie"... Boston Cream
Pie... Scooter and/or Moon Pies... Eskimo Pies... any of several
variants on the potato-crust pie... the tamale pie. I would say the BCP
is considered a pie in that the pastry cream filling is quite
substantial compared to the mass of its other ingredients.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com