[Sca-cooks] Measurement query for European members

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 16 10:20:24 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> one dry ounce=28.35 g IIRC.Since g is a weight measure and tea/tablespoons are fluid measurements they are not converted into each other.
/Angus.

Premise is off, but conclusion is right on.  Grams are measre of MASS, and not weight.  Mass is the amount of material/matter, while weight is a force measurement that is a function of that mass accelerated by the force of gravity (hence, you weigh more on Earth than on the Moon, but same mass in kg).  Metric measure of 'weight' is, I believe, the Newton.  The Standard American measure for mass is the slug.  I had a goofy Physics treacher in high school who taught us . . . and I hope I remembered correctly <g>.  (is the SAE system really that much easier now?)

niccolo difrancesco