[Sca-cooks] Measurement query for European members

Mon Jul 16 11:40:20 PDT 2001

A gram is defined as 1/1000th of a kilogram as defined by a platinum-iridium
bar maintained at the International Bureau of Weights and Measures in Paris.
This, by the way, is the only metric measure which is not based on a
naturally occurring constant.  It was originally defined as one cubic
centimeter (milliliter) of pure water (at 1 atmosphere and 66 or 68 degrees
F, IIRC).

For pure water, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml = 5 grams, 1 tablespoon = 3 or 4 teaspoons
(depending on standard) = 15 or 20 ml = 15 or 20 grams, 1 oz. A = 28.34+
grams, 1 oz. T = 31.1+ grams.

These rough transforms will work with most fluids and some dry ingredients
in small amounts, but as the quantities increase variations in density will
cause wider discrepencies between the actual volumes.

If the ingredients are given in grams, the best way to get the ratios right
is weigh the ingredients.

Bear