[Sca-cooks] Plum loco

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 15:33:45 PDT 2001

I had a similar problem with our apricot tree.

You can make plum sauce or plum jam.  If the plums
have a firm enough flesh, you can can them.  You can
borrow my canner if you like.  After 35 quarts of
apricots, I don't plan on using it for a while.  Not
to mention 7 pints of blackberries ...

Then there is plum duff, plum sorbet, sugar plums,
plum syrup [for shave ice][plum brrrrr!].  You could
put a lot of plums in a long, straight row and create
a plumb line.

I am sure that I can find some period recipes when I
get home.

Huette

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> My parents have two plum trees just dripping, even
> drooping with fruit.
> Cherry-sized golden plums and slightly larger
> purple-red plums.  I came
> home last night with three bags full and learned
> some useful things.
>
> 1.  The Juiceman Juicing Machine is not necessarily
> the most efficient
> way of making juice from soft fruit.
>
> 2.  Plumstones and gunstones both travel at a high
> velocity.  ZOUNDS!
>
> I gave up on the juicer after the first bag,
> although I now have two
> liters of wonderful nectar with I will freeze and
> use later.  The reds I
> will make my traditional Plum Butter, which is just
> equal parts plum
> puree and sugar, cooked until thickish.  Maybe do a
> batch with honey for
> that really, really historical effect, but it's
> going to take a long
> long time to cook.
>
> Plum vinegar [now there's a potential jalab!], plum
> brandy, plum vodka,
> I'm plumb tired out already and the tree hardly
> looks like I've been
> picking.  Any more ideas, period recipes or such?
>
> Selene the rosy-fingered

=====
shall never cease to be amused.