[Sca-cooks] Pennsic food

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jul 18 22:49:32 PDT 2001

Margaret FitzWilliam asked:
> I have done a certain amount of canning, thanks to my mother, but I have
> always stored the finished product in the cool dry basement. Pennsic is
> neither cool nor terribly dry, usually, and I was wondering if anyone had
> gone this route before and if they had any useful advice.

Perhaps these files in the Florilegium might be of help.
In the FOOD section:
canning-msg       (29K)  6/ 6/01    Use of canning in the SCA. Directions.
compost-msg       (35K)  3/27/01    A pickled food of fruits and vegetables.
drying-foods-msg  (45K)  1/12/01    Drying foods in period and for the SCA.
food-storage-msg  (85K)  6/ 8/00    Storing and preserving food in
period. Non-
                                      refrigerated food for camping and Pennsic.
Lrds-Salt-Exp-art (15K)  9/11/00    "Lord's Salt Experiment" by Lady
Hauviette
                                       d'Anjou.
pickled-food-msg  (95K)  5/ 7/01    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
Preservng-CMA-art (32K)  1/24/01    "Preserving Foods in the Current
Middle
                                       Ages" by Hauviette d'Anjou.

In FOOD-MEATS:
pickled-meats-msg (43K)  5/ 7/01    Period pickled meats. Lord's Salt. recipes.

You don't mention if you will have access to a cooler or not. Stews can
be frozen and then easily warmed up. The same for soups.
stews-bruets-msg  (65K)  5/24/00    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.

I know that some of these techniques are probably not usuable due to
the short time until Pennsic, but it does give you some other choices.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net